Saturday, August 2, 2014

Showcase Saturday-Layer Cake Lemonade!

Hi peeps!


Today's post is brought to you by the generous folks at Fat Quarter Shop. They sent me this layer cake so I could do up a little demo of their Layer Cake Lemonade pattern. 

The link for the pdf pattern is here

They also have a great video on Youtube, which you can find here.


I chose the Mixed Bag layer cake as I thought the colours looked fresh and summery.




I did as the pattern suggests and separated my squares into two piles, one dark and one light.

 It turns out that you will have a few extra if you have a 42-piece layer cake, so if you were wanting to purchase a bali 40-piece one, you would still have enough squares to make the pattern.


I just tossed my completed rows on the floor as I was piecing them. I think they look like a happy mess!




I laid my finished rows on the floor(no room for a design wall), and played around with them a bit. I do admit that I took one of the skinny rows apart, and changed things up a bit. But that I just me being a Virgo!!!



These are my leftovers. I will use some of them to make cornerstones on my added border.


Here are the fabrics I will use for the borders(this is something I am adding, and not in the pattern). The orange will be a narrow 1/4" flange, then Kona-snow. The binding is a Caryl Bryant print from my 'old' stash!



This is the backing fabric I have chosen. The green binding will show nicely on this print.


Here is the completed quilt top, per the pattern. I will talk in greater length about adding a flange border in a later post.


I was on such a roll that I even got the binding pieced and pressed! I had to cut it a 2 3/8" as I only had about 5/8ths of a yard. As you can see by the little strip left, I had barely enough! Now I have another strip for my string quilt bag!

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Jacqueline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there,
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment, you make my day! Kind comments are always welcomed and appreciated. While I do read each and every comment, I may not always be able to reply.